This article may contain affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links (at no additional cost to you)
As the owner of an extra-large American Bully that suffers from food allergies, I’ve done my fair share of experimenting with different food varieties.
I’ve found that my American Bully does well with a grain-free, lamb-based kibble. I believe that finding the best food for your American Bully is a matter of trial and error, and finding one that meets their unique nutritional needs.
The best food for an American Bully is one that is grain-free, high in protein, and contains fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals to keep them healthy and strong. Puppies require a puppy formula, whereas senior American Bullies may require a specially formulated diet to help with any health issues.
In this article, I’ll walk you through an American Bully’s nutritional requirements and I’ll offer several recommendations for this powerful, energetic breed.
Read on to learn more about dog food for American Bullies, so that you can choose the best dog food for your furry friend.
Best Food for American Bullies: Purina ONE True Instinct
With a 30% protein content and containing natural meat ingredients, Purina ONE True Instinct is palatable, healthy, and full of all the nutrients your American bully needs.
You have a choice of bag sizes (it’s best to choose a small bag size when first introducing your American bully to a new food), and it has a high Omega-3 fatty acid content.
Although it is an excellent food choice for any American Bully, it’s suitable for dogs with sensitive stomachs.
High Omega-3 fatty acid content. These fats help your dog grow a shiny, healthy coat and are essential for vital bodily functions.
High protein content (30%). This is sufficient protein for healthy muscle development and energy.
Contains real meat. Since it contains real meat, this is a sign that the food contains high-quality protein.
Excellent low price. A 36lb (16.33 kg) bag, if you put it on subscription, is a great deal.
No artificial flavoring or preservatives. Dog food containing these ingredients can often irritate an American Bully’s stomach.
- Owners are sometimes put off by the smell. Owners often comment that they can’t stand the smell when feeding their dogs, but American bullies seem to love the taste.
- Contains wheat meal, corn and soybean. These are poor-quality carbohydrates that could irritate the skin.
- Comes in a limited flavor range. If your American bully often becomes bored of the same old flavor, this could eventually become a problem.
Bottom line: If you’re looking for American Bully food that is inexpensive, full of all the essential nutrients, and performs well across all considerations, Purina ONE True Instinct is a strong contender.
Best Value for Money: Nature’s Recipe Grain-Free Salmon, Sweet Potato & Pumpkin
Just because you are on a budget, it doesn’t mean that you need to compromise on your American Bully’s food quality.
There are plenty of cost-effective dry dog food options out there, but the top considerations should be those that offer the best quality ingredients.
Nature’s Recipe Grain-Free dog food boasts a high-quality, grain-free formula with all the essential nutrients your American Bully needs for a healthy body.
A 12lb (5.44 kg) bag is inexpensive, so it’s a cost-effective option for those on a budget who want their dog to eat healthy, grain-free food.
- Cost-effective. Nature’s Formula is proof that you don’t need to spend a fortune on excellent quality dry dog food.
- Works well for American bullies with sensitive stomachs. The food has no added preservatives or flavoring, which can sometimes irritate sensitive stomachs.
- The grain-free formula is excellent for allergies. Many American bullies suffer from skin allergies from grain, and Nature’s Formula can help such dogs.
- Your American Bully may not like the taste. Some American bullies simply don’t like fish, and the salmon contained in this food may be a problem.
- Bags sometimes contain wood slivers. After opening the bag, some pet owners complain about the presence of wood slivers.
Bottom line: Dogs with allergies or sensitive stomachs often do well on this food type. It’s also a top consideration if you’re on a budget.
Best Food For American Bullies To Gain Weight and Muscles: Bully Max High Performance Super Premium Dog Food
The best food for American Bullies to gain weight is food high in calories and protein, such as the Bully Max High Performance Super Premium Dog Food.
This dog food is 535 calories per cup and is a meat-based formula, which is great for adding weight and building muscle.
Since American Bullies are athletic and strong, ensuring they get the proper diet is essential to their growth.
American Kennel Club describes American Bullies as well-balanced dogs, meaning they’re powerful, show great endurance and agility, and have a friendly attitude, making them excellent family pets.
Bully Max High Performance dog food (click to buy these kibbles on Amazon) is a fantastic option to feed your American Bully because it’s made with real meat (which is essential in dog food), natural, safe ingredients, and contains a large number of calories per cup.
The abundance of calories will be a massive factor in your American Bully gaining weight.
This american bully dog food also contains 30% protein and 20% fat, which are crucial for weight and muscle gain. Another great thing about this food is that you can give it to your American Bully at any life stage. Therefore, you could start your puppy with this food and give it the same food into adulthood.
Top Food for Optimal Health: Wellness Large Breed Complete Health Dog Food
Although this dog food is not explicitly geared toward American Bullies, it is aimed at large dog breeds.
As its name suggests, Wellness Large Breed Complete Dog Food aims to address a large breed’s complete nutritional requirements and keep the immune system healthy.
It has a high protein, probiotics, and fiber content, vital for a healthy digestive and immune system. Other healthy ingredients are taurine and glucosamine, which are essential for a healthy metabolism and keeping vital organs functioning optimally.
The formula’s fresh ingredients (such as lamb, fish, and sweet potato) are tasty, and most dogs find it incredibly palatable.
- High protein content at 26%. The protein content is the perfect amount to keep muscles healthy and strong.
- Contains fresh and wholesome ingredients. With its well-balanced formula of fresh ingredients containing glucosamine, vitamins, taurine, and probiotics, it’s fantastic for promoting sound health. It also doesn’t have corn (which can trigger allergic reactions in some American Bullies).
- Great for digestive health. This food contains a high probiotic and fiber content that promotes healthy digestion.
- If not introduced gradually, it can cause digestive problems. This food is great for digestion, but it needs to be introduced gradually as it may cause loose stools and gas.
Bottom line: If your American Bully doesn’t have any specific health issues, but you want them to continue to enjoy excellent health, you should try this food type.
Best Premium Brand Food: Ziwi Peak Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Foods Recipe
If you believe that “less is more” in dog nutrition, Ziwi should be a top consideration for you.
The brand has taken the complexity out of canine nutrition and created simple dog food using only recognizable ingredients.
Even though the brand has a minimalist attitude toward dog food composition, it is still considered a premium brand due to the high-quality ingredients.
Ziwi Limited Ingredient dog food contains at least 92% real meat, with the remaining ingredients being wholesome superfoods, such as kelp and parsley.
A limited ingredient formula is an excellent option if your American Bully suffers from allergies and you’re trying to eliminate allergens in food.
- Dense nutritional content. The high, premium quality meat content is excellent for optimal canine nutrition.
- Contains 10% of healthy superfoods. Superfoods like kelp and parsley contain high levels of vitamins and minerals.
- Grain-free formula. The grain-free formula helps dogs with allergies.
- It’s not a cheap option. This is not cost-effective dog food, as the price for a 2.2lb (1 kg) bag is incredibly high compared to other dog food brands.
Bottom line: Ziwi Peak is an excellent brand to consider if you want to get back to basics for your American Bully’s nutrition and you don’t mind paying more.
Best Food for American Bullies with Allergies: Orijen Six Fish Grain Free Dog Food
The source of many American Bully allergies can be traced to grain, and there are many grain-free dog food types on the market.
However, if your dog is susceptible to allergies, many American bully owners have found that Orijen Six Fish Grain Free Dog Food is an effective option.
In fact, it is sometimes the only food that has helped their dog overcome their allergy symptoms.
This food is packed with Omega-3 fatty acids, which are vital to healthy canine skin and fur. It also has at least two-thirds of fresh fish, which is a highly concentrated protein source.
The only drawback to this excellent dog food is that dogs sometimes don’t enjoy the fish content. This will, of course, depend on your dog’s taste preferences.
- High quality protein content. The fish contained in Orijen’s formula is high quality and promotes healthy muscle development.
- Top consideration for dogs with allergies. If you’ve tried and failed to find suitable dog foods for your allergy-prone dog, this one may be it!
- Many dogs find fish unpalatable. Depending on how fussy your dog is, they may not like the fish content.
- It is not aimed at any specific dog breed. This is a “one size fits all” food, which some may find too generalist.
Bottom line: American bullies prone to allergies can sometimes only eat a limited range of foods. If this sounds like your dog and you’ve been struggling to find suitable dog food, Orijen may be the best option.
Top Food for Senior American Bullies: Hungry Bark Superfoods with Turkey and Duck
As your American Bully ages, it’s important to continue feeding them foods containing high-quality and healthy ingredients.
Hungry Bark Superfoods dog food is a personalized dog food to address your dog’s needs regarding aging, health conditions, and breed.
It is a freeze-dried raw food that contains no harmful antibiotics or hormones and takes the guesswork out of what your dog should be eating.
Ingredients such as Omega-3 fatty acids help keep their vital organs functioning optimally during aging and keep their joints flexible and pain-free.
- Plenty of probiotics for healthy digestion. After eating Hungry Bark Superfoods dog food, you may find that your dog’s digestion improves due to the probiotics.
- Slow-cooked to preserve nutrients. The ingredients are slow-cooked and then freeze-dried to preserve the vitamins and minerals. It also doesn’t contain any crude proteins, hormones, or antibiotics.
- The custom turkey meal plan addresses your dog’s unique nutritional needs. You can have the peace of mind that your dog is eating delicious food that helps to keep them as healthy as possible as they age.
- Expensive. This is one of the best dog foods, but If you are on a budget, you might find the cost-prohibitive (especially if you have a bigger XL american bully) . However, the price can be well worth it if it means prolonging your dog’s life.
- Picky dogs sometimes don’t like the taste. As your dog ages, they develop strong food preferences and tastes. Some senior dogs simply don’t like the taste of this formula.
Bottom line: Hungry Bark may be a pricey brand, but their dog food contains premium quality ingredients conducive to a healthy canine aging process.
Nutritional Requirements of American Bullies
Before deciding what the best food for American Bullies is, it’s essential to look at their nutritional requirements.
All dogs do well on a prey-based diet, including plenty of fresh, high-protein ingredients.
Like most dogs, American Bullies have unique healthcare requirements, and it’s a good idea to feed your pup food that is suitable for the breed, its age, and any relevant health conditions.
American Bullies are susceptible to the following conditions:
- Allergies. Many American Bullies are sensitive to allergens such as dust mites, grass, and pollen. Allergies can manifest as itchy, red skin, or paw licking.
- Neuronal Ceroid Lipofuscinosis (NCL). This is a neurological condition resulting from natural toxins building up in nerve cells. In extreme cases, it can cause seizures, balance issues, strange behavior, and sometimes death.
- Elbow or hip dysplasia. Dogs with an elbow or hip dysplasia have poorly shaped joints where the bones rub against each other, causing pain, inflammation, and difficulty moving around.
- Hypothyroidism. This is a common condition in young American Bullies and is caused by too little thyroid hormone, thyroxine. Symptoms include low energy, weight gain, and a dull coat.
- Obesity or being overweight. American Bullies are prone to being overweight if their diet contains too much fat, too little protein, and not enough fiber. Dogs that don’t get enough exercise can also become overweight or obese.
If your American Bully has symptoms of any of the above conditions, it’s essential to take them to the vet for an evaluation. Your vet may recommend food that could help alleviate the symptoms.
The following ingredients should always be present in American Bully food (to check if they are present, consult the packaging for a list of ingredients):
The Correct Amount of Calories
When your American Bully consumes the correct amount of calories for its size and activity level, this can help them achieve optimal health.
American Bullies typically weigh between 60 pounds (27.22 kg) and 120 pounds (54.43 kg).
If your American bully is average weight and gets moderate daily exercise, the daily recommended caloric intake is about 1900 calories.
Very active and large American Bullies can safely consume 2700 calories, while a dog who doesn’t get enough exercise should eat no more than 1400 calories each day.
Figuring out the right amount of calories for your American bully takes a bit of tweaking and is worth getting right.
The higher the fat content of dog food, the more palatable it is. However, since American Bullies are prone to putting on weight, it’s best to limit their fat intake and keep a balanced diet.
Food for American Bullies should consist of between 12 and 15 percent of fat as this is the perfect amount to keep vital organs functioning well.
Pregnant or American Bully puppies need a higher fat content in food, and this should range from 8 to 20 percent.
Some American Bullies experience intestinal problems when food contains too much fat. If, after a few days of switching to a new food with higher fat content, your dog is still experiencing diarrhea or vomiting, you should consider food with lower fat content.
Fatty acids, such as Omega-3, are often present in dog food in the form of fish oil. This fatty acid helps your dog develop and maintain healthy skin, a shiny coat and also assists with vital organ function.
Chicken fat can cause allergies and is often found in low cost dog kibbles.
Fiber (whether soluble or insoluble) is an essential ingredient in American Bully food.
It ensures that your dog has healthy digestion and gives a feeling of fullness in the stomach.
Great sources of fiber in dog food include sweet potato, green beans, and peas.
A good fiber range for American Bullies is between 2% and 4%.
American Bullies are naturally muscular dogs and enjoy being active. They need protein for healthy muscle growth, which can help to keep them fit and facilitate energy conversion.
An American Bully’s food should contain between 28 to 30 percent of protein, and the protein should be meat-based if possible.
Puppy food will typically include more proteins.
Probiotics help increase the amount of the so-called “good” bacteria in your dog’s colon. They also help eradicate harmful gut bacteria.
Any vet will tell you that a healthy canine gut is vital for several essential functions, including digestion, strong immunity, and overall sound health.
The number of carbohydrates you feed your American Bully should be carefully monitored.
Too many carbohydrates can cause weight gain or obesity, and some American Bullies can even safely go without grains or carbohydrates.
If you feed your dog food with carbohydrates, they shouldn’t make up more than 10% of the total nutrients.
My veterinary recommends a grain free diet for american bullies
Vitamins and Minerals
Consuming sufficient vitamins and minerals helps to keep your American Bully’s body systems working optimally.
Essential vitamins and minerals that should be present in a balanced diet dog food include:
- Vitamin A
- Complex B vitamins
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin E
American Bullies should eat dog food that helps prevent common breed conditions (allergies, joint dysplasia, and hypothyroidism).
Orijen, Ziwi Peak, Hungry Bark, Wellness, Purina ONE, and Nature’s Recipe are excellent dry dog food brands for American bullies. They contain a high protein content with sufficient vitamins and minerals.
I did not cover raw diet in this article, as this is a completely different topic that deserves its own article.
Ready made and well formulated dog kibbles are great and better than a raw diet that is not well balanced.
A well calculated raw diet is healthier indeed, but this needs to be carefully planned to avoid imbalances, and can cost a lot more depending on where you live.
Depending on your dog’s unique health requirements and age, you should find suitable food in this list.
I created this blog to share my passion for bullies, and help current and future pitbull owners with things like diet and education.
Hope you find it useful, don’t hesitate to drop a comment on my articles!